Adult, Autumn-Winter, Hats and Caps, Katia Yarn, Patterns, Wraps and Scarves, YouthFrom: $8.00
- From: $8.00
- From: $8.00
Lola Lovegrove’s Complete Beginner’s Guide to Knitting
So, you’ve fawned over enough Instagram pages, pinned enough posts on Pinterest, and saved about 100 patterns on Etsy, and you’re finally ready to take the leap and start knitting. The team at Lola Lovegrove couldn’t be more excited for you, and we’re keen to impart our wisdom on all things knitting related. Whether you’re looking for knitting wool online in Australia or just looking for advice on a particular project, Lola Lovegrove is your go-to online store. We remember what it was like to start in the wide world of knitting, so we have a few choice pieces of advice for all our lovely beginners out there.
Getting Started: What Will You Need?
Knitting is wonderfully budget-friendly for beginners. You don’t need to spend a ton of money to get the right tools. All you’ll need is;
- Yarn. The best yarn for beginners is medium weight wool. Fortunately, Lola Lovegrove supplies a massive range of high-quality Australian knitting wool, so you’re bound to find something you’ll love. If you’re stuck, try this Malabrigo Worsted yarn.
- Needles. For beginners, we’d suggest using 7-9mm needles as they’re comfortable to hold and they’re the best match for medium or worsted-weight yarn. These KnitPro Ginger Single Point Needles are perfect for anyone new to knitting.
- A pattern. We’re sure you have dozens of projects you can’t wait to begin, but if you’re just starting, you might want to keep it simple. Don’t stress; we have a handful of straightforward patterns for you to jump right into below.
- Someone to teach you. Everyone learns differently, so make sure you choose a method that suits you. If you learn best in a classroom environment, perhaps contact your local library, community centre, or knitting store and find out when the next class is. If you prefer books, buy a couple of books introducing you to the world of knitting. If videos are more your style, there are plenty of online yarn stores in Australia like Lola Lovegrove itching to teach newbies via video tutorial! Alternatively, this could be an excellent opportunity to get out and visit grandma if you learn best one-on-one.
- A couple of hours of downtime and a quiet spot. You’ll need to focus the first few times you begin a project, so set aside an hour or two to curl up with your knitting.
5 Projects Perfect for Beginners
The team at Lola Lovegrove have picked out a few of our favourite beginner-friendly projects for you to try.
- KATIA Soft Lio Scarf Pattern. This is a wonderfully light spring scarf that would make for a fantastic gift. You’ll have a lot of fun creating this one.
- Love Wool Cowl. Love wool is the softest wool you can buy. It’s the wool collected from a lamb’s first shear, and it is so luxurious in feel. This simple, straightforward project is your perfect introduction to love wool.
- Soft & Sweet Booties. Whether they’re for your own little one or a niece, nephew, grandchild, or family friend, any little one is guaranteed to look adorable in these little boots.
- Crochet Bag. This pattern creates a fabulous bag to take to the weekend markets. The Luxor yarn is made with strong, durable cotton so you’ll be able to carry a fair bit with you.
- Diagonal Blanket Pattern. If you’re looking for a warm, cosy project to keep you busy, this lovely blanket is ideal. Made from soft KATIA Azteca, it’ll be an item to treasure forever.
Things to Remember When Knitting
To wrap up, we’ve got a few tips and tricks to keep in mind when you’re working away at your first project.
- Try to buy high-quality wool. Trust us when we say, you’ll notice if you’re using cheap, nasty yarn. You’ll likely find knitting far more frustrating, and you may be tempted to give up. Pop into your local yarn store and ask for advice on the best Australian knitting yarn. Alternatively, if you can’t make it into a store, there are plenty of Australian wool shops online such as Lola Lovegrove.
- Use the right tools for your project. Make sure you look at your pattern closely and buy the correct wool for the task. When you grab knitting yarn in Australia online with Lola Lovegrove, make sure you choose the right thickness, texture, fibre content, and colour. Additionally, you’ll need to make sure you have the right needles for your project. If your needles are too small for the yarn, the stitches will be too tight. If the needles are too big, you’ll have loose, floppy fabric.
- Keep consistent tension on your yarn. If you lose tension in your yarn, you’ll end up with a messy or bumpy final product. Create pressure with your fingers and try to maintain it. Don’t worry if you can’t get it right to start with; this is a skill that will come more naturally with practice.
- Keep at it. Knitting isn’t an intuitive skill; it’s not something anyone is born good at! You need to keep practising and practising if you want to create elaborate pieces with ease. Heck, the team at Lola Lovegrove have been knitting and crocheting for years, and we’re still learning! The beauty of knitting is that it’s the gift that keeps on giving, and you’ll never stop growing and learning.
- Practice new techniques before you start your project. If you’ve come across a stitch you’ve never attempted before, have a go at doing it on some scrap wool first. Trust us; it’s way easier than backtracking in your project if you mess it up at all.
- No one is perfect. Knitting isn’t about achieving something perfect every single time. If you strive for the kind of perfection usually attained by people who’ve been knitting their whole lives, you’ll probably end up disappointed and disillusioned. The most important thing to do when knitting is to look for your improvements and track how far you’ve come.
If you’re After Knitting Wool Online in Australia, Head To Lola Lovegrove
It’s no secret that the team at Lola Lovegrove have a thing for yarn. We love everything about knitting, and we love sharing our passion with our wonderful customers. We’re 100% committed to delivering the very best products, excellent customer service, and we’re proud to have created a tight-knit (pun absolutely intended) little community with a shared love of all things creative. If you’re looking for online wool shops in Australia, Lola Lovegrove is your go-to store. Have a browse through our range today!